Thursday, July 22, 2010

Sniping Luck.

Luck. What is luck? Luck is the unknown factor in which pleasant or unpleasant things happens to you. While luck is considered a form of superstition, surprisingly many people believe in it. I do. Or more likely, I did.

I used to have several superstitions regarding luck. For instance,

1. Doing well in Term 1 makes you do badly in Term 2. Then you do well in Term 3, and you do badly in the EOYs.

2. Thinking the opposite of the desired outcome produces the desired outcome.

3. Listening to Chinese Songs will make your skin oily.

Some of them are really ridiculous and I do not wish to post it here for the world to see but, you get what I mean. What really compelled me to believe in these is that, they did work. Evey year, I do badly for Term 1. Then I do well for Term 2. Then I do badly for Term 3. And so on. Whenever I thought of the opposite of my desired outcome, I actually got the desired outcome. Well, most of the time.

However, I have come to reality and realised that these are mere superstitions. They are not my principles. Never, my guiding light. Instead they were mere psyhological effects. For example, if I believe that I will do badly in Term 2 when I did well for Term 1, my semi-conscious state will cause me to perform poorly for the Term due to my belief. The thought of the opposite outcome was merely a random pattern.

In life, no matter what you do, if you put your effort and sweat and confidence in it, you will most likely succeed. Life does not have regulations. There is no such thing as bad luck after good luck. I should have realised that 3 months ago. I really should.

1 comment:

  1. You know what, what you said is absolutely true. In the new movie, Inception, people plant dreams into other's minds. In your case, you are planting dreams or ideas into your own mind. If you self-limit yourself before you even begin, you might not even get anywhere. Good to know you have seen that it was your own thoughts that were stopping you.

    ReplyDelete